Monday 14 September 2015

Episode II: Attack Of The Clones

 Not watched this in a while but I have long disliked, probably why i've not watched it again but I'm on a Star Wars thang at the mo and after Episode I (http://nonwrestling.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/episode-i-phantom-menace.html) a few days ago I watched the follow-up this morning.

The buffer of the original trilogy was the best there but the same can't be said for this one though I did enjoy it more than I remembered doing so as I have always placed this at the bottom of the Star Wars totem pole by some distance but upon today's viewing that's not totally fair as I did enjoy parts of it whereas I remembered disliking all of it.

 Although Jedi are essentially peacekeepers it's hard to disagree with Anakin's decision to wipeout the tusken raiders who had tortured his mother, another sign of what he'd become. A classic character is introduced, albeit as a child, as we meet Boba Fett, his father/cloner(?) Jango Fett appears and is revealed as the original that the Clones are based on, but he is killed before the end credits and his helmet is shown in the hands of Boba.

 The films for me are dined by there fights, especially the prequels, but I always thought II's were poor and it's not that the Obi-Wan/Anakin/Yoda Vs. Dooku fight is poor it's more that it's not really a true fight, though  Anakin does lose his arm as Luke does in the middle film. I do love big brawls and here is no different as I liked the part where the Jedis fight Droids as Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme are to be executed on Geonosis, this is where Jango is killed as Mace Windu decapitates him, special mention for Windus awesome Purple Lightsaber.

 The acting and writing at times left a lot to be desired and one bit I didn't care for was when Anakin and Padme are bonding on Naboo, it was as if someone had put Pride & Prejudice or some other mundane love story, into my Xbox and a scene set in the droid factory with Anakin, Padme, C3PO and R2-D2 knocked the films momentum off a bit.

 Jar-Jar is placed in Padme's place at the senate and gives powers to Chancellor Palpatine to create an army to fight the separatists, I think of it as like the US Civil War where South Carolina and the rest succeeded, the powers that Palpatine is given leads to Order 66 in Episode III which leads to Jedis
being almost wiped out so Jar-Jar is responsible in a way for the Jedi wipeout, was that done due to the sizable hate for Jar-Jar?

 Watched out of context it's not as good but watching it as a piece of the Star Wars puzzle I feel it is perfectly acceptable for what it is which is the buffer between the start and end, due to this I think it's fair that nothing becomes settled and rather the pieces are put in place for Episode III, like a good mid-season finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment